Ch. 60A S1 exempts the following vehicles from the motor vehicle excise:
- Vehicles owned and registered by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision of the Commonwealth. Political subdivisions include cities, towns, counties, districts and authorities.
- Vehicles owned and registered by any corporation whose personal property is exempt from taxation.
- Vehicles owned and registered by literary, benevolent, charitable, scientific, and religious corporations.
- Vehicles owned and registered by former prisoners of war or the surviving spouses of former prisoners of war.
- Handicapped Veterans: The person must, by reason of service, have suffered either (a) an actual loss of or a permanent and complete loss of use of, one or both feet or one or both hands or (b) a permanent vision impairment of one or both eyes.
- Handicapped non-veterans: This exemption is available to a person who has suffered either (a) an actual loss of or a permanent and complete loss of use of both legs, or both arms or (b) a permanent vision impairment of both eyes.
- Vehicles owned and registered by non-domiciliary soldiers and sailors who: (a) register their motor vehicles in Massachusetts, (b) are stationed in Massachusetts or some other state pursuant to military orders and (c) are in compliance with the registration laws of the state in which they reside while on military assignment.
- Vehicles owned and registered by foreign dignitaries, diplomats, consular officers or employees.
Excise bills must show the date upon which the bills were issued and must contain the statement:” Due and Payable in Full Within 30 Days of Issue.” A payment, to be timely, must be received in the collector’s office on or before the close of business on the 30th day following the date shown on the bill as the date of issue
In the years between certification, Assessors must also maintain the values. They must review sales, and the market every year, and thereby reassess values each year.
While most communities hire professional appraisal firms to perform this task, we in New Bedford have a full time in-house staff to conduct this ongoing effort.