The OHCD administers relies on a number of resources to determine community needs and priorities, to administer programs and to initiate new projects. Much of this information is found here, along with the documents, plans and maps created by the department. In addition, program partners and useful contacts can be found in the links section.
- expanded the coverage of the Fair Housing Act to prohibit discrimination based on disability or on familial status (presence of child under age of 18, and pregnant women);
- established new administrative enforcement mechanisms with HUD attorneys bringing actions before administrative law judges on behalf of victims of housing discrimination; and
- revised and expanded Justice Department jurisdiction to bring suit on behalf of victims in Federal district courts.
Complaints filed with HUD are investigated by the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). There are several ways to file a complaint:
- Contact the City of New Bedford’s Office of Housing and Community Development at (508) 979-1581 or (508) 979-1575 (fax)
- File a complaint using an online form at http://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm
- Call toll-free 1-800-669-9777 to HUD’s Housing Discrimination Hotline.
- Para Información en Español, Llame al Oficina (508) 979-1581
- Para Informação em Português Telefone Para (508) 979-1581
As a grantee of HUD, the City of New Bedford is required to identify and analyze impediments to fair housing regularly in its Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Report and to report out progress in the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER).