What to Do During a Winter Storm WATCH
- Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio, or local radio or television stations for updated information. Local authorities will provide you with the best information for your particular situation.
- New Bedford residents should tune to the New Bedford Government Access Channel 18 or WBSM-AM 1420 radio for local information.
- Be aware of changing weather conditions. Severe weather can happen quickly. Temperatures may drop rapidly, winds may increase or snow may fall at heavier rates. What is happening where you are may not agree with local forecasts.
- Move animals to sheltered areas. Have a water supply available. Most animal deaths in winter storms are from dehydration.
- Avoid unnecessary travel. Your safest place during a winter storm is indoors. About 70 percent of winter deaths related to ice and snow occur in automobiles.