Your Enrollment as a Voter

Choosing to enroll in a political party

There are four political parties in Massachusetts

  • Democratic Party (D)
  • Green Rainbow (J)
  • Republican Party (R)
  • United Independent Party (CC)

If you enroll in any of these parties you may vote only in that party’s primaries.

Enrollment in a political party does not affect your right to vote in the general election in November. In this election all voters receive the same ballot and vote for the candidate of their choice regardless party enrollment.

Choosing no enrollment in a political party “Independent”

If you do not wish to enroll in a party (sometimes called “independent” status) check the box beside “no party or designation” or “unenrolled” on the registration form.

If you do not enroll in a party “Unenrollled” you may choose any party ballot you wish at the state and presidential primaries.

Once you choose a party ballot you automatically become enrolled in that political party. Immediately after   recording in the system your participation in that specific election you will automatically revert to your “Unenrolled” status.

Choosing to enroll in a political designation

In addition to the four official parties we listed above there are certain legal political designations on file     with your local election office.  Currently these are:

  • American First Party (V)
  • American Independent (Q)
  • American Term Limits (BB)
  • Conservative (A)
  • Constitution Party (K)
  • Green Party USA (G)
  • Inter. 3rd Party (T)
  • Libertarian (L)
  • Mass Independent Party (O)
  • Natural Law Party (B)
  • New Alliance (N)
  • New World Council (C)
  • Pirate   (X)
  • Pizza Party (AA)
  • Prohibition (P)
  • Rainbow Coalition (F)
  • Reform Party   (E)
  • Socialist (S)
  • Timesizing Not Downsizing (M)
  • Twelve Visions Party (DD)
  • Unenrolled (U)
  • United Independent Party (CC)
  • Veterans Party America (W)
  • We The People (H)
  • Working Families Party (Z)
  • World Citizens Party (Y)

If you enroll in a any political designation you may not vote in any state or presidential primary.

Changing party enrollment or political designation

You may change your enrollment status by notifying your local election official in writing at least 20 days before a state or presidential primary, same as deadline to register to vote.