INFORMATION WHEN APPLYING FOR A CITY POSITION
Must attach completed application and include your “Last Name – Position” in the subject line of the email
- The City of New Bedford has a residency requirement. Employees are required to be residents of the City of New Bedford at the time of appointment, unless a specific waiver has been granted by the City Council with approval of the Mayor.
- Click on each position title listed below to view the complete job description. Interested candidates click here to download and complete the City of New Bedford’s application.
- Applications are to be emailed to Applicant@newbedford-ma.gov or mailed to, Personnel Department, City Hall Room 212, 133 William Street, New Bedford, Ma 02740. However, if you have a disability that requires additional assistance, please email or contact us at 508-979-1444. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the department(s).
- As a condition of employment the City of New Bedford will conduct a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information, once an offer has been accepted.
- Applicants are required to pass a pre-employment physical examination administered by a physician appointed by the City of New Bedford.
NOTE FROM THE CITY OF NEW BEDFORD
- The City of New Bedford is continuing to accept applications for open positions. Our response time may be delayed due to the City responding to the evolving COVID-19 situation. We encourage you to submit all applications by email to Applicant@newbedford-ma.gov. All communication in regards to applications will be done through email. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
- Effective, November 9, 2020, all positions are posted for 15 days, unless otherwise determined a more appropriate time. Employment applications will then be sent to the department and given the opportunity to review. If a suitable candidate is not found the City will repost the position.
- Summer Program Employment information and application page. Click here
Employment Opportunities for the city of New Bedford
*All positions opened until filled unless otherwise noted
|Position Title||Department||Salary||Closing Date|
|Administrative Coordinator||Public Infrastructure||$48,768 – $60,965 /yr||5/14/2021|
|Airport Technician||Airport||$19.49 – $27.21 / hr||*|
|Associate City Solicitor (Real Estate)||Solicitors||$36,366 – $45,461 /yr||*|
|Cadet||Police||$12.00 – $14.25 /hr||*|
|City Arborist||Public Infastructure||$50,719 – $63,404 /yr||*|
|City Auditor||Auditors||$100,169 – $125,221 /yr||*|
|Diesel Engine Repairperson||DFFM||$19.49 – $27.21 / hr||*|
|Electrician||Public Infrastructure||$20.48 – $28.59 /hr||*|
|Emergency Medical Technician (Variable Time)||Emergency Medical Services||$16.37 / hr||*|
|Emergency Medical Technician||Emergency Medical Services||$16.37 – $19.50 / hr||*|
|Emergency Telecommunications Dispatcher||Police||$18.83 – $26.29 / hr||*|
|Financial Assistant I||Public Infrastructure||$17.01 – $23.75 /hr||4/23/2021|
|Local Building Inspector (Vacant Building Fund)||Inspectional Services||$19.99 – $27.90 / hr||*|
|Office Assistant I||Health||$16.43 – $22.95 /hr||*|
|Office Assistant I||Inspectional Services||$16.43 – $22.95 /hr||4/30/2021|
|Office Assistant III||Assessors||$17.35 – $24.23 /hr||5/05/2021|
|Paramedic (Variable Time)||Emergency Medical Services||$24.41 / hr||*|
|Parking Enforcement Officer||Traffic||$17.17 – $23.99 /hr||*|
|Plumbing & Gas Fitting Inspector||Inspectional Services||$19.02 – $26.55 / hr||*|
|Project Manager Temporary – Emergency||Fire||$21.00 /hr||*|
|Receptionist||Human Resources / Personnel||$15.00 /hr||*|
|Recovery Coach||Police||$17.17 – $23.99 / hr||*|
|Rehabilitation Specialist||Housing & Community Development||$53,254 – $66,573 /yr||*|
|Seasonal Building Custodian||DFFM||$16.39 /hr||5/05/2021|
|Seasonal Code Enforcement Inspector||DFFM||$17.35 /hr||*|
|Service Writer||DFFM||$19.49 – $27.21 /hr||*|
|SMEO||Public Infrastructure||$20.02 – $24.70 /hr||*|
|Staff Planner||Planning||$50,719 – $63,404 / yr||*|
|Van Driver||Community services||$16.23 / hr||*|
|Water Construction Foreperson||DPI||$21.00 – $29.30||*|
|Welder||DPI||$19.02 – $26.55 /hr||*|
New Bedford Port Authority
Applications are available at www.portofnewbedford.org and should be submitted to the New Bedford Port Authority at 123 MacArthur Drive, New Bedford, MA 02740.
|Executive Director||New Bedford Port Authority||$150,000 – $175,000 /yr||*|