INFORMATION WHEN APPLYING FOR A CITY POSITION
Must attach completed application and include your “Last Name – Position” in the subject line of the email
- The City of New Bedford has a residency requirement. Employees are required to be residents of the City of New Bedford at the time of appointment, unless a specific waiver has been granted by the City Council with approval of the Mayor.
- Click on each position title listed below to view the complete job description. Interested candidates click here to download and complete the City of New Bedford’s application.
- Applications are to be emailed to Applicant@newbedford-ma.gov or mailed to, Personnel Department, City Hall Room 212, 133 William Street, New Bedford, Ma 02740. However, if you have a disability that requires additional assistance, please email or contact us at 508-979-1444. Incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the department(s).
- As a condition of employment the City of New Bedford will conduct a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information, once an offer has been accepted.
- Applicants are required to pass a pre-employment physical examination administered by a physician appointed by the City of New Bedford.
NOTE FROM THE CITY OF NEW BEDFORD
- The City of New Bedford is continuing to accept applications for open positions. Our response time may be delayed due to the City responding to the evolving COVID-19 situation. We encourage you to submit all applications by email to Applicant@newbedford-ma.gov. All communication in regards to applications will be done through email. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
- Effective, November 9, 2020, all positions are posted for 15 days, unless otherwise determined a more appropriate time. Employment applications will then be sent to the department and given the opportunity to review. If a suitable candidate is not found the City will repost the position.
- Summer Program Employment information and application page. Click here
Employment Opportunities for the city of New Bedford
*All positions opened until filled unless otherwise noted
|Position Title||Department||Salary||Closing Date|
|Airport Technician||Airport||$19.68 – $27.48 /hr||*|
|ARPA Director||Chief Finance Office||$89,394 – $97,342 /yr||*|
|Associate City Solicitor (Real Estate)||Solicitors||$36,366 – $45,461 /yr||*|
|Branch Manager||Library||$62,266 – $77,838 /yr||07/31/2021|
|Building Custodian||Public Infrastructure||$16.39/hr – $22.88/hr||07/31/2021|
|Building Official||Inspectional Services||$73,459 – $91,832/yr||8/06/2021|
|Cadet||Police||$12.00 – $14.25 /hr||*|
|Carpenter||DFFM||$19.21 – $26.82 /hr||*|
|CFO||Chief Finance Office||$143,131 – $178,927/yr||*|
|City Auditor||Auditor’s Office||$100,169 – $125,221/yr||*|
|Community Relations Specialist (Compliance Officer)||Police||$53,787 – $67,239||07/23/21|
|Diesel Engine Repairperson||DFFM||$19.68 – $27.48 /hr||*|
|Diesel Engine Repairperson||Public Infrastructure||$19.68 – $27.48||*|
|Electrician||Public Infrastructure||$20.68 – $28.88 /hr||*|
|Emergency Medical Technician (Variable Time)||Emergency Medical Services||$16.37 /hr||*|
|Emergency Medical Technician||Emergency Medical Services||$16.37 – $19.50 /hr||*|
|Emergency Telecommunications Dispatcher||Police||$18.83 – $26.29 /hr||*|
|Financial Assistant I||Traffic||$17.18 – $23.99 /hr||08/02/2021|
|Laboratory Technician||Public Infrastructure||$17.52 – $24.47/hr||7/30/2021|
|Local Building Inspector (Vacant Building Fund)||Inspectional Services||$20.19 – $28.18 / hr||*|
|Paramedic (Variable Time)||Emergency Medical Services||$24.41 /hr||*|
|Plumbing & Gas Fitting Inspector||Inspectional Services||$19.21 – $26.82 /hr||*|
|Project Manager Temporary – Emergency||Fire||$21.00 /hr||*|
|Recovery Coach||Police||$17.17 – $23.99 /hr||*|
|Seasonal Code Enforcement Inspector||DFFM||$17.52 /hr||*|
|Senior Systems Analyst||Management Information Systems||$77,868 – $97,342/yr||8/31/2021|
|Service Writer||DFFM||$19.68 – $27.48 /hr||*|
|Signal Maintainer||DFFM||$17.34 – $24.23 /hr||*|
|SMEO||Public Infrastructure||$20.22 – $24.95/hr||*|
|SMEO1A||Public Infrastructure||$21.73 – 26.82 /hr||*|
|Staff Planner||Planning||$51,226 – $64,038/yr||8/13/2021|
|Tourism Marketing Manager||Tourism||$49,256 – $61,575||7/30/2021|
|Water Works Utility Person||Public Infrastructure||$17.34 – $24.23 /hr||*|