Moreland Terrace National Register Historic District
The Moreland Terrace National Register Historic District contains 73 resources over 18 acres of land. This district is located immediatatley south of the County Street Historic district and represents the continued southward extension of residential development during the first quarter of the 20th century.
The district is comprised primarily of Colonial Revival design reflects a less expensive, more standardized approach to construction that was well-suited to the subdivision / speculative development of the area during the 1890-1954 period. The boundary runs along rear property lines to distinguish the area from other residential districts oriented to the south and west.
The Moreland Terrace Historic District is significant for its place in the late 19th/early 20th century development of New Bedford’s residential areas. It is an intact example evidencing the new preference by the city’s upper middle class for traditionsl designs and a more “suburban-style” sitting on spacious parcels with consistent setbacks.This was a period when the city’s textile industry continued to propsper, generating economic prosperity among a growing middle class of businessmen and entrepreneurs. The district’s geographic location as the next open area south of Hawthorn Street, made it a very desiresble to live. The district reflects the financial success of its occupents, success which was translated into large, tastefully designed homes in the latest architectural styles, built on large open lots along wide tree-lined streets.