Brownfields Site Assessment Cleanup & Redevelopment
What is a Brownfield?
Real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.
New Bedford has developed an ambitious program aimed at assessing, cleaning up and redeveloping Brownfields. The Environmental Stewardship manages several environmental assessment and cleanup projects of City-owned Sites. Click on the links below for information on each site.
Sites Currently Being Assessed and/or Cleaned Up
- Former Dartmouth Finishing, 45 Cove Street
- Vacant Lot, 478 to 480 Union Street
- 241 Duchaine Boulevard
- Former Dawson Brewery, 29 Brook Street
- Former Payne Cutlery/ Elco Dress site, Collette Street, Coffin Avenue and Phillips Avenue
- Former Aerovox Site, 740 Belleville Ave
- Former Cliftex Site, 194 Rear Riverside Avenue
Sites Successfully Cleaned Up By the City