The City Clerk’s Office serves the residents, businesses and stakeholders of the City of New Bedford in a highly professional and courteous manner by maintaining and providing Vital Records, Licenses and Permits in full accordance with state and local laws.
Vital Records are maintained for the benefit of the general public. These include Births, Adoptions, Deaths and Marriages. The City Clerk provides certified copies of such Records upon appropriate request, at a reasonable fee.
Additionally, the City Clerk issues Business Certificates, Licenses for Owners & Operators of Public Vehicles, Dogs, Petroleum Storage, Shell Fishing, Subdivision Plan Registrations, Street Obstructions, Raffles, Bazaars, Special Police Officers, Pawn Brokers, Second Hand Dealers and Special Permits. Again, all licenses and permits are provided to qualified individuals/organizations at a reasonable fee.
More Information about Our Departments
How to Apply for a Marriage License.
Certified Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates can be obtained in person at the City Clerk’s Office, through the mail with a photo id, and in some cases, over the phone.
Important Information Regarding Payment for Records and Services
- Cash, Checks and Credit/Debit Cards are all acceptable forms of payment
- All Checks Must Be Made Payable to The City of New Bedford
- Please do NOT send Cash or Credit Card information via the mail
- All Debit/Credit Card Transactions require an additional $1.95 Processing Fee from the Credit Vendor
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept American Express, but all other major cards are gladly accepted