The Office of the City Clerk prepares, preserves and issues Vital Records and Licenses to qualified individuals and organizations in accordance with Mass. General Law and the New Bedford Code of Ordinances.
To serve our City, community and neighbors with a commitment to integrity, excellence and innovation.
To foster a culture of contribution and accountability in an environment that encourages partnership and mutual respect.
To be welcoming, professional and knowledgeable; holding ourselves to the highest standard of public service.
Vital Records are maintained for the benefit of the general public. These include Births, Deaths and Marriages. The City Clerk provides certified copies of such Records upon appropriate request, at a reasonable fee.
Additionally, the City Clerk issues Business Certificates, Licenses for Owners & Operators of Public Vehicles, Dogs, Petroleum Storage, Shell Fishing, Subdivision Plan Registrations, Street Obstructions, Raffles, Bazaars, Special Police Officers, Pawn Brokers, Second Hand Dealers and Special Permits. Again, all licenses and permits are provided to qualified individuals/organizations at a reasonable fee.
More Information about Our Departments
How to Apply for a Marriage License.
Important Information Regarding Payment for Records and Services
- Cash, Checks and Credit/Debit Cards are all acceptable forms of payment
- All Checks Must Be Made Payable to The City of New Bedford
- Please do NOT send Cash or Credit Card information via the mail
- All Debit/Credit Card Transactions require an additional $1.95 Processing Fee from the Credit Vendor
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept American Express, but all other major cards are gladly accepted