The City of New Bedford is excited to be participating in the Massachusetts Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP) Program. This program helps communities to:
- Define extreme weather and natural and climate related hazards
- Understand how their community may be impacted by climate change with a Massachusetts specific climate change clearinghouse with the latest science and data to Identify existing and future vulnerabilities and strengths
- Develop and prioritize actions for the community
- Identify opportunities to take action to reduce risk and build resilience
- Implement key actions identified through the planning process
The City of New Bedford recently became a state designated MVP Community after completing the MVP proce3ss summarized in this report: (attach link here) We are now eligible for other opportunities to enhance our resilience to climate-related events. Given our location and our ties to the waterfront, it is essential that New Bedford is on the forefront when it comes to ensuring our community is prepared for and resilient to any potential hazard. The City was recently awarded a follow-up grant to complete a Community Climate Action and Resilience Plan and we are relying on the entire community to participate. We will also be launching a Community Resilience Dashboard to solicit and maintain engagement in our process and progress!
Learn more at: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/mvp-program-information