Brownfields Site Assessment Cleanup & Redevelopment
What is a Brownfield?
Real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.
New Bedford has developed an ambitious program aimed at assessing, cleaning up and redeveloping Brownfields. The Environmental Stewardship manages several environmental assessment and cleanup projects of City-owned Sites. Click on the links below for information on each site.
Sites Currently Being Assessed and/or Cleaned Up
- 241 Duchaine Boulevard
- Former Aerovox Site, 740 Belleville Ave
- 1Rear Coffin Avenue/Former Whitman Mills
Sites Successfully Closed out for Redevelopment
- Southeast Corner of Walnut and Pleasant Streets
- Former Reliable Truss Site, 246 River Road
- Former Dartmouth Finishing, 45 Cove Street
- Vacant Lot, 478 to 480 Union Street
- Former Dawson Brewery, 29 Brook Street
- Former Payne Cutlery/ Elco Dress site, Collette Street, Coffin Avenue and Phillips Avenue
- Former Cliftex Site, 194 Rear Riverside Avenue
- Chummack’s Garage – Ash Street