Griffin & Point Road Cemetery
Griffin Street Cemetery
The grounds were purchased in 1802 for the purpose of a common burying ground for the use of the then village of New Bedford. The money was raised by voluntary contribution and those who pioneered our city are interred within.
Point Road Cemetery
This cemetery is located in the most southern part of our city on property formerly known as the “Poor Farm”. This cemetery is now surrounded by homes, many of them new within the last twenty years. The “cement-rail” fence that enclosed the cemetery was recently restored and paid for by the Cemetery Department, at a cost of $4,000.
Approximately 450 burials are made mainly in our 2 active cemeteries, yearly.